Sex Offender Registration

If you are convicted of certain sex offenses, or offenses involving violence to minors, your court martial defense lawyer should be advising you of the requirements to register as a sex offender.

While the government (local Provost Marshal, confinement personnel, or others) are required to advise those convicted of qualifying offenses, so too must the trial defense counsel or your civilian court martial lawyer (U.S. v. Miller, 63 M.J. 452 (C.A.A.F. 2006)). If an accused is convicted of a qualifying offense, the Military Judge will inquire of the accused whether such advice has been given.

If the accused intends to plead guilty to a qualifying offense, the advice must be given before an offer to plead is submitted. In the absence of a pretrial agreement, the advice must be given before the plea is entered.

Request Your Case Evaluation

You deserve a fighting chance on your day in court. When it comes time to decide who your defense attorney will be, make that decision count.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.