UCMJ Article 84: Breach of Medical Quarantine
You or someone you love has been accused of breaking a medical quarantine, endangering the lives of fellow service members, their families, and many others. Should you be formally court-martialed, you could face charges and a conviction under Article 84 of the UCMJ – Quarantine, Medical, Breaking.
Breaking a medical quarantine is one of the lesser offenses under Article 84 of the UCMJ. But it can still have a devastating effect on your future in the military should you be convicted. And if prosecutors are successful at securing a maximum sentence, you stand to lose even more.
- Your pay could be significantly reduced for a period of up to six months, putting a serious financial strain on you and your family.
- Breaking a medical quarantine comes with a maximum sentence of up to 6 months in prison.
- A conviction will almost certainly go on your military’s permanent record, essentially placing a ceiling on your military career and future promotions.
Defining the Elements of Article 84
Every article of the UCMJ requires prosecutors to prove beyond a reasonable doubt a handful of critical assumptions—known as elements—to convict you of a crime. A soldier who is accused of breaking a medical quarantine must have these five elements proven in court for a conviction to occur:
- That a certain person ordered the accused into medical quarantine;
- That the person was authorized to order the accused into medical quarantine;
- That the accused knew of this medical quarantine and the limits thereof;
- That the accused went beyond the limits of the medical quarantine before being released therefrom by proper authority; and
- That, under the circumstances, the conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.
Military Defense Attorney for Article 84
All medical quarantines limit the movements and the actions that a service member can take while within their confines. Many are thrown together quickly to limit the spread of a disease.
What prosecutors may not bring up in court is just how chaotic and stressful these confines can be. In many cases, it is unclear whether the individual who ordered the service member into the quarantine had the legal authority to do so. And it is possible that a Soldier was unaware of the limitations of the quarantine before entering.
Telling your side of the story will not be easy. Prosecutors will do everything in their power to prove that all quarantine protocols were followed and that all service members except for you performed their duties honorably. Without an experienced military defense attorney at your side on your day in court, you could easily face a worst-case scenario, which could include the loss of your military career and even jail time.
If you are concerned about your upcoming trial and are seeking the most experienced and reputable law firm to represent you in court, then look no further than Bilecki Law Group.
- Experienced UCMJ attorneys: The lead attorneys of Bilecki Law Group are veteran JAG Corp officers who have spent years defending service members from within the military’s justice system. They now work as military defense attorneys in the private sector to better assist their clients in court. Partners Tim Bilecki and Bilecki Law Group have over 30 years combined experience trying cases before juries.
- Professional and qualified in-house team: Our law firm is committed to securing consistently positive results for our clients. And it takes an experienced team of legal experts, investigators, and support staff to deliver on that promise.
- Close proximity to military bases: Bilecki Law Group is located on the 23rd floor of the American Savings Bank Tower in downtown Honolulu. We are strategically located near countless military bases in Hawaii, Guam, Okinawa, mainland Japan, Korea and the United States.
Has the military accused you of breaking quarantine? It is possible you should never have been charged at all. Contact Bilecki Law Group for a confidential consultation today.
Experienced Military Defense Lawyers for Article 84 Charges
For years Bilecki Law Group has been helping service members like you secure the best possible outcome in their courts-martial. If you have been accused of breaking quarantine and you believe your charges are worth fighting against, then you have come to the right place.
Learn more about our case history, and then contact us for a confidential consultation today!
Bilecki Law Group will help you fight back against charges under Article 84: Quarantine: Medical, Breaking
Maximum Possible Punishment for Article 84
A conviction under Article 84 pertaining to indecent language could lead to the following maximum charges:
- Forfeiture of two-thirds pay per month for 6 months
- Confinement for 6 months