William OettingerInvestigator, Bilecki & Tipon, LLLC
Company Spotlight: William Oettinger
A recent addition to Bilecki & Tipon, LLLC, William Oettinger joined the team in 2017 and has since become invaluable as a field investigator, forensic analyst, expert witness and subject matter specialist. His background as a retired Marine CID agent and retired Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department law enforcement officer as well as his expertise in computer forensics makes him both a tenacious advocate for our clients and a formidable opponent for prosecutors alike.
As a brilliant and accomplished criminal defense investigator, Mr. Oettinger has the intuition and scent of a bloodhound when it comes to spotting key evidence and establishing a case timeline. He can often be found on-location, in Hawaii, Korea, Okinawa and Mainland Japan, investigating a crime scene or interviewing possible witnesses to assist the defense’s case.
When not on site for a client, Mr. Oettinger supports our team as a defense strategist and case theory expert at our Honolulu, HI office. From conducting witness interviews, computer forensics and record searches to processing digital evidence and preparing courtroom exhibits and testimony, Mr. Oettinger’s versatility as a retired Marine CID agent and retired Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Officer make him an undisputed champion for our military and civilian clients.
Background & Honors
Mr. Oettinger has worn many hats over his storied 30-year career in both law enforcement and in the Marine Corps, taking on the responsibilities of police detective, CID operations chief, adjunct professor, senior consultant and cyber defense technical trainer. He has been recognized in the fields of both civilian and military law, and has mastered disciplines as diverse as cyber-crime, sexual assault, juvenile sex abuse, digital forensics and terrorism.
1984-2015 U.S. Marine Corps (Reserve) Criminal Investigative Division Operations Chief
- Managed CID Agents assigned to Criminal Investigation Division, MCAS Miramar, San Diego, CA
- Provided forensic analysis and data recover on drive imagines and memory images
- Collected and analyzed intelligence data related to criminal activities
- Reviewed and directed over 40 criminal investigations
1993-2014 Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Detective
- (Sexual Abuse Juvenile Detail) Primary investigator for over 500 allegations of child sexual assault abuse in the Las Vegas metro area.
- (Electronic Crimes Unit) Principal investigator for over 100 investigations ranging from homicide, child pornography, child exploitation, sexual assault, fraud and forgery.
2007-Present US Department of State, Anti-Terrorism Assistance Program Senior Consultant
- Provided guidance in the creation of policies and procedures for the Royal Moroccan Gendarmerie, La Direction Générale de la Sûreté Nationale, Bahrain State Police and the Royal Police Force of Antigua and Barbuda, among others.
- Conducted advanced consultations concerning emerging technologies
- Consulted host countries on program development, budget preparation, and the develop of policies and procedures for the creation and implementation of Electronic Crime Investigation Unites and Digital Evidence Processing Facilities
2014-Present University of Maryland University College Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Teaches masters classes in Cyber Crime Investigation and Digital Forensics (CSEC 650) and Digital Forensic Investigations (CSEC 661)
- Topics for both classes range from computer and network forensics, collection, acquisition, authentication and preservation of evidence, preparing depositions and recovering information from encrypted or deleted sources.
2015-2017 Defense Cyber Investigations Training Academy (DCITA) Technical Trainer
- Developed content for classes for the Department of Defense
- Provided instruction for cyber-crime tracks such as technology fundamentals, forensic collection and digital evidence, digital media examinations and networking concepts.
- Director at the Sheriff’s Protective Association, a social organization for the active and retired members of the Las Vegas Metro Police Department
- Peer Review Coach and member of the Problem Development Committee for the International Association of Computer Investigative Specialists (IACIS)
Education & Certifications
- Tiffin University, MSCJ, Homeland Security Administration
- Columbia Southern University, BS, Criminal Justice Administration
- Marshall University, Certificate, Computer Forensics
- EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE)
- Certified Forensic Computer Examiner (CFCE) by the International Association of Computer Investigative Specialists
- Senior Information Security Instructor
- Investigative Specialist (IACIS)(CFCE)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (CHFI)