Sexual Offender Registration Legal Defense
At Bilecki Law Group,We believe every service member has earned their right to an aggressive defense on their day in court. We specialize in taking the fight to the prosecution and winning cases that others said were unwinnable.
- Family, friends and prospective employers will be able to see your name on a sex offender list with a simple search on Google.
- Buying or even renting a home or apartment becomes a nightmare. Nobody wants to live next door to a sexual predator. Eviction is a real threat. Your family could be tossed out on the street.
- Once you’re on a sex offender list, you could be on it for decades or even a lifetime.
A guilty verdict in a sexual assault case all but guarantees your name will be written down beside the names of known perverts, rapists and child molesters. Fighting these charges tooth and nail should be the single most important obsession of your life up until the day of your trial.
Bilecki & Tipon has been fighting for service members that have been accused of sex crimes for decades. We know what you’re going through and we’re prepared to go to war for you. Registration as a sex offender can destroy lives. It has forced service members onto the streets and destroyed their connections with friends and loved ones. Some sex offenders will never see their children again. Others will live lives of total solitude, terrified of leaving their homes.
Sex Offender Registration Is All But Guaranteed for Military Sex Crimes
You may be spared the burning, but the public shaming is only just beginning. Military prosecutors love the publicity that comes from rooting out another so-called rapist (see military rape defense) , pervert or sex criminal in the military. If convicted:
- Prepare to have your name dragged through the dirt and your military reputation tarnished irreparably.
- After weeks of public shaming, you’ll be stripped of your rank, forced out of the military with a dishonorable discharge, and added to a sex offender list.
- Unfortunately, that is just the beginning of your problems. Once you are out of prison, your civilian life will be hard, it may be brutally empty of human connections, and defined by poverty.
You’ve defended your country honorably. Your future shouldn’t be ripped out of your hands by people who don’t care about it. The only way to ensure this never happens is to fight back. That means hiring a team of defense attorneys with a reputation for going into court, guns blazing.
Our Case History Proves Our Commitment to the Service Members We Represent
FAQ about Sex Offender Registration
Under the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA), any military conviction for a sexual offense will require you to register as a federal sex offender. SORNA has three tiers of registrations. Tier I, Tier II and Tier III.
Tier I requires registration for 15 years (10 with a “clean record”). Tier II requires registration for 25 years and Tier III requires lifetime registration.
These SORNA federal requirements are in addition to any state imposed requirements for sexual offenders. The stakes are high and the consequences are real.
Besides being registered as a sex offender:
- You will almost certainly be stripped of your rank and dishonorably discharged from the military.
- You may be incarcerated, possibly for years or even decades, depending on the type of crime you committed.
- You could be fined. You will also lose all military benefits including G.I. benefits.
Registration as a sex offender is bad enough. As you can see however, that’s just the beginning. A guilty verdict should always be fought against. If your current defense attorney is suggesting a plea deal before you have discussed how to actually fight the case in trial, ask for a second opinion!